Tuesday, April 12, 2005

What is ESUVEE.com?

My wife and I saw a billboard for this site (http://www.esuvee.com) the other day, and wondered what it was. I assumed that it was a teaser campaign for Hummer or some other gigantic car, but it appears to be a teaser campaign for SUV safety from the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).

Interesting that they decided to market this information using the same techniques as the actual SUV manufacturers. Seems like a good idea.

They note on this site that stopping distances for SUVs are greater than for smaller cars. This got me thinking that speed limits don't take this difference into account. Perhaps speeding fines should be dependent on the size and weight of the car? Probably not a good idea, but nice to think about when you see that monster truck race by at 100mph.


2 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger NonstopExpress said...

Sad, but true, people need to be reminded that an Explorer is heavier than a Camry. Shows a lack of basic physics. (Remember Gramps and calculating how far it would take to stop a moving vehicle?)

From an advertising standpoint, this campaign is a boondoggle. And a not-so-subtle effort by Big Auto to make it "okay" to drive a gas guzzler. They should do billboards that show the weight of carbon dioxide produced by each SUV in a year. [Disclaimer: I've got a Subaru WRX which gets bad mileage.]

What I find particularly perturbing and telling is how many, many SUV owners drive super-agro. It's not enough the have the biggest piece of shit on the road, you've got to tailgate as well.

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Chris Denend said...

I hate to point fingers, since I am not the greatest driver, and up until recently was an owner of a large SUV, but when I see a woman with a big SUV full of kids, talking on the phone, and swerving in and out of traffic, it makes me think that a little physics lesson would be in order. (That's of course the PG version of what I would think)

It's funny how the message about safety, "SUV's are big and therefore will do better in an accident" seems to be understood, but not the problems.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home